Usually it is Progesterone that is needed not estrogen.
If you have not read Dr. Lee's books on What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause and What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause, we would highly recommend them.
These books are classics and should be in everyone's natural medicine library. Progesterone cream has been one of the most important supplements used in recent times.
It is a know fact that most Western women are estrogen dominant, so using progesterone goes a long way towards balancing hormones, which usually decreases a woman's risk for breast cancer, improves her PMS, hot flashes, breast tenderness and normalizes her cycle.
The balancing process involves lifestyle changes first.
Secondly, one needs to get to bed by 10 PM. This is an essential part of the process. If one is routinely going to bed after 10, then one's biorhythms will be disrupted. Addressing emotional stress in one's life is the other huge component.
Natural progesterone is the exact same hormone that is produced by a woman's ovary. It is made from naturally occurring plant steroids found in the wild yam, it is not wild yam and it is NOT the synthetic version that is commonly purchased as tablets with a prescription such as Provera. The synthetic progesterone can produce severe side effects including increased risk of cancer, abnormal menstrual flow, fluid retention, nausea, and depression.
Side effects are extremely rare with natural progesterone.
Reasons Why Natural Progesterone Made by Your Body Is Good
Natural progesterone is very useful to balance excess estrogen. Natural progesterone is also different from estrogen in that your body can use it as a precursor or starting material to make other hormones such as adrenal hormones. It can even convert it into estrogen or testosterone if your body needs it. The table below lists the properties of estrogen relative to progesterone. Some of the reasons that estrogen is frequently in excess in many women are:
1. Over production of estrogen. Ovarian cysts or tumors can lead to excess estrogen production. Stress also increases production, but probably the most common cause is obesity. All body fat has an enzyme which converts adrenal steroids to estrogen, so the more fat you have, the more estrogen is present.
2. Inability to breakdown estrogen. Excess estrogen is generally removed by the liver. Diseases of the liver like cirrhosis or decreased enzyme activity can lead to increased estrogen levels. Vitamin B6 and magnesium are necessary for the liver to neutralize estrogen. Increased sugar intake will also excrete magnesium and interfere with its ability to breakdown estrogen.
3. Exposure to pesticides in foods. Most of us eat foods that have pesticides on them. These and many other unnatural chemicals share a common structure with estrogen and serve as "false" estrogens which further stimulates the body's estrogen receptors.
4. Estrogen supplementation. Clearly any additional estrogen given by prescription will increase the level unless it is properly balanced with natural progesterone.
5. Decreased production of progesterone. Progesterone is necessary to counterbalance estrogen. If women do not ovulate during their cycle they will not produce any progesterone that cycle. This happens commonly and worsens the already disturbed progesterone/estrogen balance.
|Estrogen Effects||Progesterone Effects|
|Stimulates breasts cysts||Protects against breast cysts|
|Increases body fat storage||Helps use fat for energy and keep it off hips|
|Salt and fluid retention||Natural diuretic (water pill)|
|Depression and headaches||Natural anti-depressant|
|Interferes with thyroid hormone||Facilitates thyroid hormone action|
|Increases blood clotting and risk of stroke||Normalizes blood clotting|
|Decreases libido (sex drive)||Increases libido|
|Impairs blood sugar control||Normalizes blood sugar levels|
|Loss of zinc and retention of copper||Normalizes zinc and copper levels|
|Reduced oxygen level in all cells||Restores proper cell oxygen levels|
|Increased risk of endometrial cancer||Prevents endometrial cancer|
|Increased risk of breast cancer||Helps prevent breast cancer|
|Helps decrease bone loss slightly||Increases bone building|