ESTROGEN DOMINANCE and NATURAL PROGESTERONE
- Progesterone prevents estrogen dominance (Estrogen dominance is a condition where the toxic effects of estrogen are not countered by progesterone.)
- Estrogen dominance alters cell function to allow the influx of water and sodium into cells, while potassium and magnesium are lost from cells, causing water retention and high blood pressure.
- Estrogen dominance reduces the amount of oxygen present in the cells.
- Estrogen dominance interferes with thyroid hormone.
- Thyroid is the hormone that regulates metabolic rate. Low thyroid tends to cause low energy level, cold intolerance, and weight gain.
- Estrogen dominance promotes histamine release (which causes allergy-type symptoms).
- Estrogen dominance promotes blood clotting thus increases the risk of stroke and embolism.
- Estrogen dominance causes copper retention and zinc loss in blood and brain. Copper and zinc are important cofactors for brain enzymes and the low zinc level leads to exaggerated stress reactions, serious mood swings, and depression.
- Estrogen dominance increases the likelihood of fibrocystic breasts, uterine fibroids, uterine (endometrial) cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, and colo-rectal cancer due to estrogen's cell proliferation function. Progesterone neutralizes this effect by differentiating cells.
- Cancer (Endometrial, Breast)
- Stroke - Hypertension
- Heart Disease
- Auto-immune System Diseases
- Fibrocystic Breast Disease
- Skin Problems
Hormone Balance is intimately connected to stress levels, nutrition, and the high levels of evironmental toxins we encounter daily. Factors leading to Estrogen Dominance include a sedentary lifestyle, poor diet, birth control pills, HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) and exposure to the "Environmental Estrogen" ingested via Insecticides,pPetrochemicals, red meat, etc.. Very few women today require supplemental Estrogen and, for those few that do, it is imperative that it be balanced with Natural Progesterone.
Major Cause of estrogen dominance/progesterone deficiency symptomsEstrogen dominance is a condition where estrogen's toxic effects are not countered by progesterone.
When there is a progesterone deficiency, a woman experiences a variety of estrogen dominance symptoms.
Progesterone is the key to a woman's hormonal balance.
Before and around menopause
- Failed ovulation: commonly seen by 35. Age and stress are the major factors. Exposure to xenoestrogen chemicals in food and water may also cause early follicle burnout.
- Birth control pills: synthetic progestins commonly prescribed for HRT and birth control cause many symptoms similar to estrogen dominance, and too much estrogen in birth control pills may cause early follicle burnout.
- Hysterectomy: even when ovaries are left intact, the change in blood flow in the area can cause ovary dysfunction or atrophy.
- Low progesterone production at corpus luteum: A lack of vitamin A, an excess of carotene, uterine irritation, low thyroid are the known factors. Since progesterone can facilitate thyroid, progesterone supplementation or thyroid supplementation can break the vicious cycle of low thyroid and low progesterone.
- Overproduction of estrogen: Since fat cells produce estrogen, overweight can lead to overproduction of estrogen. Also when ovaries do not respond, increased estrogen production may result to stimulate ovaries.
- Failure to eliminate estrogen: Liver's ability to neutralize estrogen to eliminate it from the body can be impaired by various causes. Slow colon movement can cause resorption of estrogen from the intestines.
- Excessive conversion of progesterone to other hormones: Stress coping hormones such as cortisone are produced from progesterone. Thus, high stress can reduce the effects of progesterone and shift the hormone production in favor of other hormones. Large doses of progesterone have anti-stress effects and protect adrenal gland.
- After menopause
- After menopause (natural or surgically induced), ovaries no longer produce estrogen or progesterone.
- Estrogen replacement therapy: This is routinely used after natural or surgically induced menopause, and is the major cause of estrogen dominance after menopause. Estrogen should never be used without progesterone. Most post-menopausal women have enough estrogen without ERT. (If you are on ERT, quitting cold turkey is not recommended, reduce it gradually monitoring your body's response and increasing the progesterone dosage to help the transition.)
- Overweight: Since fat cells produce estrogen, overweight can lead to overproduction of estrogen.
It is almost always progesterone, NOT estrogen, that is deficient. Virtually all the commonly known symptoms are those of estrogen dominance.
When balance is restored by increasing natural progesterone levels, these symptoms typically disappear.
Natural progesterone is created by the ovaries at the time of ovulation. It is critical to understand that a woman can have her period and still not be ovulating. If she does not ovulate, she will not create the progesterone necessary to remove the fiber and lining that has been stored. The repeated storing without the essential cleaning can eventually result in fibrocystic breast disease, Endometriosis, uterine cysts, bloating, weight gain and depression.
Natural Progesterone is being prescribed by Doctors who used to prescribe estrogen, It was found that estrogen did not help the negative symptoms caused by estrogen dominance. Estrogen has been prescribed for several decades now, and do we, as women, really see relief from the following symptoms?
Lack of sex drive, mood swings, Endometriosis, pain and irritability during PMS, recurrences of acne, and even osteoporosis, are a result of estrogen dominance or hormonal imbalance in women.
Hormonal balance is the relationship between the body's progesterone and estrogen levels. If progesterone and estrogen are not at their normal levels an imbalance occurs and ultimately causes one of many undesirable conditions. It is unfortunate that these conditions often effect not only the woman with the imbalance but those around her as well. If you or someone you know is suffering from any of the conditions mentioned above, the following information may be very important.
Ovaries no longer produce at previous levels. Although estrogen is typically only produced at 40% of previous produced amounts it is still adequate for most women.
It is not a lack of ESTROGEN that creates the problems.
It is the lack of PROGESTERONE. If a woman's body is given back the progesterone it can no longer produce, menopausal symptoms disappear! Balance is critical.
NATURAL PROGESTERONE CREAM VS. PHARMACEUTICAL DRUGS
Pharmaceutical "hormones" are only chemical imitations of the body's natural secretions. They are NOT the same. Estrogen replacement drugs have been associated with increased cancer of both the uterus and breast. The most commonly prescribed drug has more than 30 negative side effects listed in the Physicians Desk Reference.
Such "progestins" are far LESS effective than natural progesterone.
Natural progesterone has no side effects. Nearly every culture in the world uses natural plant medicinals to support women's health and hormones.
WHY A CREAM AND NOT PILLS?
Before products taken by mouth can begin supporting body organs and processes, they must survive digestive juices and be processed by the liver, where much of the potential value is lost or altered.
By applying a natural cream directly to the skin, ingredients bypass the digestive system and can immediately begin helping the body with nutritional building blocks needed to create the body's own optimum levels of balance. The skin is our largest organ and can serve as a highly effective, immediate delivery system. Obviously, only the HIGHEST quality plant ingredients or extracts should be used, and the BASE (carrier) should be one of proven superiority.